Sunday 21 July 2013

Spinach & Chickpea Hummus

Lately I've been seeing the 'Honestly Healthy' cookbook everywhere. I mean everywhere. I would open up a magazine and there it was. People kept tweeting about it. Finally I gave in and decided to see what all the fuss was about.



I hadn't realised that this cookbook focused on an alkaline way of eating - basically, eating mainly alkaline foods (with a high pH) to aid our digestive system and match the pH in our blood. Though I wasn't really too sure about only eating alkaline food (and I definitely wasn't too sure about testing my urine, er, what?) I did like the idea of eating smaller portions and just generally eating healthier. 

The photographs are really beautiful, and I love that they are showing that eating vegetarian doesn't mean just salad, salad, salad - healthy eating can be colourful and vibrant! 

I decided to first test out the spinach and chickpea hummus recipe. It was really simple and I'm really pleased with it! Be warned, certain people (i.e. my boyfriend) were put off by its colour. While I thought it looked tasty, he thought it just looked odd. It took a lot of persuasion to get him to eat it (basically I just put some on a carrot stick and waved it in his face till he gave in) but once he did eat it he agreed it was really tasty. 

Spinach & Chickpea Hummus (from Honestly Healthy)
This recipe serves 4. 
You need: 
400 g. canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
60 g. spinach
1 tbsp of tahini
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 small garlic clove
125 ml of water

1. Place the chickpeas, spinach, tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil in a blender or food processor, grate in the garlic and whizz till it forms a paste. Gradually add in the water till it forms the consistency you like.
2. Thats it. Seriously, just one step. 

I did a mixture of pita bread, carrot sticks and cucumber slices to serve with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment